Democratic Politics (NTSE/Olympiad)
4. Gender, Religion and Caste
Glossary (Gender, Religion and Caste)
1. Gender Division : It is a form of hicrarchical social division based on biology, social expectations and stereotypes.
2. Sexual Division of Labour : A system in which all work inside the home is either done by women of the family, or organised by them through the domestic helpers.
3. Feminist : A woman or a man who believes in equal rights and opportunities for men & women.
4. Patriarchy : It is a concept which is used to refer to a system that values men more and gives them power over women. The society based on this ideology is known as the patriarchial society.
5. Child Sex Ratio : It is referred to as the number of girl children per thousand boys in a given period.
6. Family Laws : Those laws that deal with family related matters such as marriages, divorce, adoption, inheritance, etc. In our country every community has its own family law.
7. Urbanisation : The process of shifting of population from rural areas to urban areas for better facility and job opportunities.
8. Majoritarian Dominance : The community belonging to a majority category takes the status of majoritarian dominance.
9. Occupational Mobility : Process of shift from one occupation to another. Usually when a new generation takes up occupations other than those practised by their ancestors.
10. Caste Hierarchy : It is a ladder like formation in which all the caste groups are placed from the highest to the lowest castes.
11. Secular state : A state which has no official religion of its own is known as the secular state. It provides religious equality and equal status to all religions.
12. Secularism : It is an ideology which deals with the equal status to all religions and prohibits discrimination on grounds of religion. It implies religious freedom, people enjoy the right to preach, practise or profess a religion of their choice.
13. Untouchability : A state of affairs in which some backward and lower caste people are treated as outcaste people, treated as untouchables and are not allowed to mingle with so called upper caste.
14. Universal adult Franchise : It refers to in which Right to vote is given to every adult citizen of the country. It is one of the political rights of the people. In this -
♦ Universal - signifies - to all
♦ Adult - signifies - above 18 yrs and
♦ Franchise - signifies - right to vote
15. Minorities : The word signifies those groups of people or communities who are lesser in number in a given area.
16. Communal Representation : A system of separate electorate for the adequate representation of the people belonging to different communities.
17. Social change : It signifies the modification which takes place in the life style of people, i.e., mode of living, the social status and cultural changes.
If you want to give information about online courses to other students, then share it with more and more on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. The more the shares will be, the more students will benefit. The share buttons are given below for your convenience.