1. The cell
Golgi Complex :
Golgi Complex : Introduction :
• Golgi bodies are absent in prokaryotic cells. Golgi complex is found in all eukaryotic cells except RBCs. Historical Account :
• Camillo Golgi
(1898), a zoologist, observed Golgi bodies in the form of a network in nerve cells of barn owl. Ultrastructure :
• It is also called Golgi complex
or Golgi apparatus
(in plants cell).
• It is made up of cisternae.
• Golgi bodies are interconnected with the tubules. Functions of Golgi Apparatus :
• The main function of Golgi apparatus is secretory.
• It produces vacuoles or secretory vesicles which contain cellular secretions like enzymes, proteins, cellulose etc.
• Golgi apparatus is also involved in the synthesis of cell wall, plasma membrane and lysosomes.