3. Liflines of National Economy
Importance of Water ways :
1. It is most suitable for carrying heavy and bulky goods.
2. It is a fuel efficient and environment friendly mode of transport.
3. The element of wear and tear is very less.
4. More than 95 % of the country’s trade volume is moved by the sea.
5. With the development of National Waterways it has become main source of transportation for the natural trade.
National water ways :
1. The Ganga river, between Allahabad and Haldia (1620 km)
2. The Brahmputra river, between Sadiya and Dhubri. (891 km).
3. The West-Coast canal, between Kollam and Kottayam in Kerala. (168 km)
4. The Champakara canal (14 km) and Udyogmandal canal in Kerala (22 km)