2. Water Resources
Glossary (Water Resources)
1. Biosphere : Part of the earth which is covered by living organisms both plants and animals.
2. Dam : A barrier across the flowing water.
3. Flora : Plants of particular region or period are referred to as flora.
4. Fauna : Species of animals are known as fauna.
5. Forest : Extensive area covered with trees.
6. Ground water : Water which is obtained from a depth of more than 15 m.
7. Hydroelectricity : It is the power which is generated with the help of running water.
8. Multipurpose Project : A river valley project which serves a number of purposes.
9. Perennial Canals : Canals developed by a diverting water from rivers that flow throughout the year.
10. Soil : The upper layer of the ground containing weathered rocks and humus.
11. Water Scarcity : Shortage of water as compared to its demand.
12. Rain water harvesting : It is a technique of increasing the recharge of ground water by capturing and storing rainwater by constructing structures such as percolating pits, check dams etc.
13. Drip Irrigation : A type of irrigation where water gets dropped in the form of drops near the roots of the plant mainly to conserve the moisture.
14. Inundation canal : Canal meant for diverting flood waters mainly during the rainy season.
15. Irrigation : Artificial means of supplying water to farm lands in the form of canals, wells, tubewells and tanks.
16. Surface water : Water flowing on the earth’s surface in the form of rivers, lakes etc.
17. Tank : Natural or man made reservoir to store rain water.
If you want to give information about online courses to other students, then share it with more and more on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. The more the shares will be, the more students will benefit. The share buttons are given below for your convenience.