COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus. A coronavirus is a kind of common virus that causes an infection in your nose, sinuses, or upper throat.
China has informed the world about the new virus, that has so far affected over 4,500 with viral pneumonia, without any prior symptoms, which has led to more than 100 deaths in the city of Wuhan, Hubei.
Most corona viruses spread the same way other cold-causing viruses do: through infected people coughing and sneezing, by touching an infected person’s hands or face, or by touching things such as doorknobs that infected people have touched.
Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms
Persons who are diseased with coronavirus COVID-19 may have little to no symptoms. Symptoms may be showing in your body up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19. This is the longest known infectious period for this coronavirus disease. While experts believe that it is possible, it is considered to be rare.
The Symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are high temperature and shortness of breath and cough.
Some of the common Symptoms have included this disease :
- difficulty breathing
- pneumonia in both lungs
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitizer gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterward
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Treatment for coronavirus
There’s no specific treatment for coronavirus (COVID-19). Treatment aims to relieve the symptoms until you recover. It’s not known exactly how coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads from person to person, but similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.
- There is currently no specific treatment for coronavirus.
- Antibiotics do not help, as they do not work against viruses.
- You’ll need to stay in isolation, away from other people, until you have recovered.
- Treatment aims to relieve the symptoms while your body fights the illness.
Coronavirus infections are diagnosed by a health care provider based on symptoms and are confirmed through laboratory tests.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some cause illness in people and others cause illness in animals.
- Human coronaviruses are common and are typically associated with mild illnesses, similar to the common cold. COVID-19 is a new disease that has not been previously identified in humans.
- Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people, and more rarely, these can then spread from person to person through close contact.