The National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) examination’s eligibility criteria is the set of norms prescribed by the conducting authority – the National Testing Agency (NTA). Conducted annually, NEET is a gateway for medical aspirants to get admission into MBBS and BDS colleges in India.
Before applying for NEET, candidates must ensure that they meet the set of parameters which includes educational qualifications, age limit, and reservation criteria.
Eligibility Criteria for NEET examination 2022
- To be eligible for the NEET examination, students must pass class 12 or equivalent grade with subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology, and English as core subjects from a recognized board.
- The applicants must be a minimum of 17 years of age to qualify for the examination and there are no restrictions on the upper age limit to appear for the NEET exam.
- The class 12 percentage that is required for eligibility is separate for each category. NEET eligibility marks in class 12 to be considered as aggregate marks only for PCB subjects.
- Unreserved or General Category – 50%
- OBC/ SC/ST – 40%
- PWD – 45%
- There are no restrictions when it comes to the number of attempts a candidate can make for the NEET examination.
- Candidates who are Indian nationals, NRI’s, OCIs, PIOs, and foreign national aspirants are also eligible to apply for the NEET exam.
Qualifying Examination Codes for NEET Eligibility Criteria 2022
Before filling out the NEET 2022 application form, candidates must be aware of the NEET qualification codes that are provided below:
Code 1: Students who take their class 12 board exams in 2022 and those who are awaiting their board results must select this examination code. Such applicants must complete their class 12 as indicated by the criteria, or else they will be disqualified.
Code 2: As per the guidelines set by the National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT), the two years after class 10 must consist of science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology, and Mathematics with English as a core subject. Along with these subjects, students can have other elective subjects as well. Candidates who are studying higher or senior secondary examinations, Indian School Certificate Examination (ISCE), or any course that comes after 12 years of study can choose this code.
Code 3: This code is for applicants who have successfully completed their Intermediate or Pre-degree Examination in Science at an Indian University or any other recognized board, including Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology, and English as obligatory subjects. A practical exam in science disciplines should be included in the course. Applicants who have completed a state board’s class 12 or equivalent qualifying examination must choose this code.
Code 4: Aspirants who have passed a Pre-professional or Pre-medical examination after completing either Higher or secondary examination, or Pre-university, or an equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology, and English must apply using this code. Practical exams in these topics, as well as English as a compulsory subject, will be included in the Pre-professional or Pre-medical examination.
Code 5: Applicants must pick this code if they are studying a three-year degree program at a recognized university with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Biotechnology as necessary topics and have passed the first year including practical examinations in these areas. applicants should keep in mind that the qualifying test here must be a university examination. They must have cleared the previous qualifying examination which is class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology, and English as a core subject.
Code 6: Applicants who have passed the BSc examination from an Indian university with at least two of the following subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Biotechnology must select this code throughout the application process. They must also pass the previous qualifying test (class 12) with Physics, Chemistry, English, and Biology.
Code 7: Applicants who have passed any other examination that is found to be equivalent to the Intermediate Science Examination of an Indian University or Board in scope (years of 10+2 study comprising of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Biotechnology, which includes a practical test in these subjects) must select this code. Candidates who have passed the qualifying examination in a foreign country must additionally include this code.
Eligibility criteria for NEET
NEET 2022 eligibility criteria for All India Quota seats
The candidates who successfully qualify for NEET 2022 eligibility criteria can apply for the 15% All India Quota Seats. Apart from this, they will also be eligible to pursue MBBS from all the Deemed Universities, ESIC, AFMC, and Central Universities. The MCI is responsible for conducting the counseling for such candidates at an All-India level.
Reservation Criteria for NEET 2022
To ensure that all candidates receive equal opportunities, NTA follows the government’s proposed reservation policy. Following are the reservation criteria for NEET 2022 in 15% All India Quota Seats:
- SC Candidates – 15% of seats are reserved for SC candidates
- General (EWS) – 10 % of the seats are reserved for economically weaker sections of the General category.
- ST Candidates – 7.5% of seats are reserved for ST candidates
- OBC Candidates – 27% of seats as per the Central Act are reserved for non-creamy layer OBC candidates only in Central Educational Institutions
- PH Candidates – 3% of seats are reserved on a horizontal basis for Physically Handicapped candidates
For detailed information on eligibility criteria for J&K candidates under AIQ and complete details on eligibility criteria for admissions to different universities, it is advised that aspirants refer to the official website of the National Testing Agency where complete information is provided in the information bulletin, clarifying all queries.
Parishrama NEET Academy in Bangalore prepares students not only with the exams but also disciplines them with the rules and regulations laid out by the NTA. Join our NEET coaching classes in Bangalore today to get access to the right information on the NEET examination.
Also Read : How to score good marks in Examination.