What are the characteristics of good fuel. Write some points or important points to describe it.
Some of the characteristics of a good fuel are as under
- The fuel should be easily available.
- It should be dry and should have less moisture content.
- Dry fuel increases its calorific value.
- It should be cheap, easily transportable and has highcalorific value.
- It must have moderate ignition temperature and should leave less ash after combustion.
- The combustion speed of a good fuel should be moderate.
- It should not burn spontaneously to avoid fire hazards.
- Its handling should be easy and should not give poisonous gases after combustion.
- The combustion of a good fuel should not be explosive.
Related Articles :
The Characteristics of an ideal fuel are discussed as follows:
Characteristics of solid fuels
- Low thermal efficiency
- Form clinker
- Cost of handling high
- It cannot be used in IC engines.
- Low calorific value and require large excess air.
- Ash is high.
Characteristics of liquid fuels
- Used in IC engines
- No dust ash and clinker
- Less furnace space
- Clean fuels
- High calorific value
- Less furnace air
Characteristics of Gaseous fuels
- Have high heat content
- Very large storage tanks are required
- No ash or smoke
An ideal fuel should have the following properties:
- Low cost
- Low moisture content
- Combustion should be controllable
- High calorific value
- The moderate velocity of combustion
- Products of combustion not harmful
- Low Non-combustible matter
- Easy to transport
- Should burn in air with efficiency.
- No spontaneous combustion
- Low storage cost
- Moderate ignition temperature
Important Links :
Top Courses After Class 12th Exams
A fuel is any material that can be made to react with other substances so that it releases energy as heat energy or to be used for work.
- It should possess a high calorific value.
- It should be easy to handle and transport.
- It should have a proper ignition temperature. The ignition temperature of the fuel should neither be too low nor too high.
- It should not produce poisonous products during combustion. In other words, it should not cause pollution o combustion.
- It should have a moderate rate of combustion.
- Combustion should be easily controllable i.e., combustion of fuel should be easy to start or stop as and when required
- t should not leave behind much ash on combustion.
- It should be cheap.
- It should be easily available in plenty.
- It should have low moisture content.
Read More Article :
Please login or Register to submit your answer